Workshop Leader: Manuel Sánchez-Villanueva, UPC-BarcelonaTECH, Haz Arquitectura.
Participants: Evgeniya Vasilyeva (architect), Daria Tabachnikova (economist),Valentina Lysenkova (architect).
Duration: 1 month.
The main focus of workshop is to understand the necessity of reducing territory consumption for new development, using existing in-between empty areas as great urban opportunities for new lifestyles and for reconnecting parts of the city.
Implies issues such as interstitial design or re-stitching existing urban tissues with new areas, proposing new lifestyle models, appropriation of new territories, etc.
Goals of Workshop¹
- To understand new construction as a positive tool to transform reality connected with the necessity to understand preexistences and context.
- To learn the skills of projective planning by identifying and understanding target users.
- To understand impacts and outcomes of each specific planning and design action, specifically centered in new lifestyles.
- To connect with landscape and territorial issues.
- Attaining a new vision of material – stone, earth, wood, sand, found in sity.
- To design for civic centers which symbolize and serve the ideals of public life.
¹ Taken from Master Program direction brochure ‘Building the City Now© – Workshops+Modules’.
Interstitial lifestyles: New typologies in regenerative tissues.
The possibility of a new lifestyle is sometimes connected to the possibility of a new development. If this new development is interstitial in nature, it has the added effect of connecting to a bigger reality and to function beyond the limits of domesticity and become a social machine.